Desktop Icons keep disappearing after every reboot.
I use windows 7 64 bit home premium, all of a sudden my desktop icons began to disappear after every reboot even though I have "Show Desktop Icons" checked in the desktop properties menu. When I reboot the icons show for just a moment then disappear,
I open desktop properties and uncheck show desktop icons and then recheck the box and they show up again until the next shutdown or reboot.
Anwsers to the Problem Desktop Icons keep disappearing after every reboot.
How long have you been experiencing this problem?
Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
I would suggest you to rebuild the icon cache and then check.
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database
Close all folder windows that are currently open.
Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.
If the issue still persist, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check.
To create a user account:
1. To open User Accounts, click the
Start button, click Control Panel, click
User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
2. Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Click Create a new account.
4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click
For further information, visit the below mentioned link:
If the issue is solved in new user account, you may have corrupted profile.
Below is the link to troulbleshoot a corrupted profile, you can follow the steps mentioned in the link.
Hope this information helped!
Thanks and regards,
Fouzan – Microsoft support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-%20US/answersfeedback/threads and let
us know what you think.
Manually editing the Windows registry to fix Error Desktop Icons keep disappearing after every reboot.
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: Desktop Icons keep disappearing after every reboot.:
How to Fix Desktop Icons keep disappearing after every reboot. with SmartPCFixer?
1. You can Download SmartPCFixer here. Install it on your system. When you open SmartPCFixer, it will perform a scan.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 6100/nForce 420 WHQL Certified driver v.178.13,How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 7600 GS Video Driver v.295.75 Certified,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce 820M Driver v.344.48 WHQL,[Solved] Download NVidia GeForce GTX 560M VGA Driver v.296.17 Certified,Way to Update & Herunterladen NVidia GeForce GT 130M Video Treiber v.295.75 Certified,How to Update & Download SONY SVE14A1X1RH Realtek Ethernet Driver,Where to Download SONY SVS13A2W9ES Bluetooth Driver (Intel) v.2.6 - 220.127.116.11059,Best Way to Update & Download SONY VGN-CR203E Conexant HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Setup Program v.18.104.22.168 driver,Best Way to Download SONY VGN-FE790G/N Wireless LAN Driver v.10.6.0.29,Method to Update & Download SONY VGN-NR31Z/S Firmware Extension Parser Device v.22.214.171.124,How to Fix Error 0x0000c1f5 Solución?,Error 0x80071a91 Win7 Fix Patch,Error 0x800ccc60 Windows Live Mail [Solved],Error Message 0x800ccc79 Outlook 2000 Fix,What is Error 0xc1ab0001?,[Answered] x64 saplugin dll,How to Fix Problem - Kb943729 Download?,Troubleshooting: Bccode D1 Error,Java Runtime Tech Support,Troubleshooting: ERROR NO SUCH GROUP Error
Read More: Custom settings on MSN page not working. [Solved],How to Fix - Dell Windows 7 Factory Restore?,Delete invisible table row! AAAARGH! (Change Tracking) [Solved],How to Resolve - Date formatting in a combo box (Excel 2007)?,Solution to Problem: datepicker scroll over hidden areas and not presented correctly in excel 2010